Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Not Every Move Can Be Epic


Today's topic: Write about a time you screwed up, a mistake you've made.


There is epic, and then there is epic fail. Am I right? Not every decision we make is going to be the best one. I firmly believe that we learn from our mistakes, and some of our mistakes make us who we are today.

I am not perfect. There are many things I probably could have done differently. I could sit here and tell you all the mistakes that I have dated, and boy there were some doozies. But Rascal Flatts couldn't have written more perfect lyrics about that:

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
that led me straight to you
There are many times that I have put my foot in my mouth and said something I regret. There are some outfits that have been mistakes. There were some events I should have attended and missed out on. I am human, I make lots of mistakes. 

I think that one of my biggest mistakes that I have made was rushing through the motions of college. I was so concerned about graduating in four years that I stuck with the major that I picked for myself upon starting college. I didn't want to be one of those people that stayed 5-7 years because they changed courses half way through more than once! I thought if I stuck with one major and dedicated myself to it, I would look responsible and driven.

Now? Those years came and went so quickly. I didn't have near the fun I should have had. I didn't focus on what I truly wanted to do with my life. To this day, I still don't know what it is that I want to do. I don't want to be one of those people that just does what they need to do to get by in their career, I don't want to live for Friday and the weekends. I want to truly ENJOY what I do every day.

I read a statistic somewhere about how only about 34% of Americans are truly and completely satisfied with what they do. Considering that what you do takes up the majority of your life, it really is a damn shame. I watched my dad suffer through 30+ years at his company, hating every bit of it. I watch my mom work her ass off at her job, just hoping that she can make it until she is 55 to collect retirement and find something else. I don't want to be like that.

If I would have stayed in school a little longer and focused on what I really enjoyed, maybe I wouldn't have wasted my twenties bouncing around from job to job in the same field...clinging to my degree like it was some sort of road map for my life and wondering why I was lost.

My advice to those of you who are younger, embrace your college years! Take a few classes because you think it will be interesting, not because they are required or they look good on your resume. Have some fun while you are there, be serious about class but be care free as well!

On a completely lighter note, it is HUMP DAY bitches and it is time to blog hop with Liz!

The Hump Day Blog Hop

7 comments:

  1. Aren't you loving Blogtember?? I have had some great things to be able to post about! I love it!
    Be sure to check out the giveaway on my page today! Xo
    http://www.styleafterhours.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the college years. I miss them sometimes. I got the degree I wanted, but should've done something different with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those college years, where we all made massive mistakes!

    Mel
    Mel's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that song! I literally listened to it right after reading this post <3

    http://www.yourbeautyfixreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like there are so many changes we go through in our early twenties, that it's hard to make life decisions at that time. I picked a major that I thought I would love the rest of my life. But what did I know at age 18, LOL! Four years go by... I turn 21 and find myself with a college degree. That sounds so young to me right now. Like you, I'm realizing that I didn't have to rush those four years... I could have taken lots of different classes. Now over ten years later, my interests have changed so I'm not even using my degree anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about my job, but I do worry there could be something out there that is better that I would enjoy more. Then again who is to say if I went back to school now for a different major that in another ten years I'd change my mind again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in the same boat - I was going to go to a HUGE school in Austin and changed my mind at the last minute and went to a small, commuter school in Houston, where I lived my whole life. I often wonder how my career would be different, but had I not stayed here I would have missed out on some awesome experiences and probably never have met my husband! While I do wish I had had more fun in college, I don't regret the choices that have lead me to where I am now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by. I would love to hear from you, please feel free to comment! If you leave an ugly or offensive comment, it may be deleted.