Thursday, March 14, 2013

Little Gracie Lou

Gracie 

Born on March 10, 2006

Fawn in color, with a black mask (that is starting to turn white and that makes me sad)

32 lbs of solid muscle (ok...maybe she has some tummy rolls she is self conscious about them and doesn't like that her Aunt Tracy calls her "Fat Dog" )

Alias: Gracie Lou, Grace Grace, Princess, Doodles, Stinky, Snuggle Puggle, Snugglufagus

Lover of: her mommy, her little fur brother Mac, any and all blankies, treats, apples, peanut butter, toys, bones

I haven't had a chance to post about her this week, but my little Gracie turned 7 on Sunday, March 10. 7?!?! Seriously, where did the years go?

I have had Gracie since she was a puppy. She has been through so much with me, I guess that is why I treat her more like a child than an "animal."

Let's start at the beginning, shall we? When I graduated college, I wanted a dog so bad. I was finally moved out of student style apartments, and in my first real life apartment with 2 of my friends. One day, someone told me about 2 baby chihuahau puppies at an animal shelter near them. I believe in rescuing dogs, not buying them. My best friend and I were all over that. However, because we lived in an apartment, and didn't have a fenced in back yard...we were denied. Um, really? You are going to risk these 2 dogs dying because I live in an apartment? They are 2 lbs for goodness sakes, they don't need that much room! Just because I didn't have a fenced in back yard, didn't mean that those 2 dogs wouldn't have been walked, or had play time outside. Ridiculous if you ask me, but whatever. A lot of shelters and rescues that I encountered were very strict about having a house and a back yard. There goes that idea.

A few months later, I was walking around the mall with one of my guy friends. We happened to enter the pet store, which is always a huge mistake for me. I just want to save them all! There was this tiny little boy pug. He was the cutest pug puppy I had ever seen. The sales associates saw me eyeing him, and took him out and let me play with him for awhile. I was hooked. I even named him. His name was Winston, and when I got paid that Friday....he was coming home.

Friday came and went and I didn't have a chance to go to the pet store. Saturday, my best friend and I went after work. There was Winston, sleeping in his cage. So cute. However, there was a sign saying "unavailable at this time." The girl that let me hold him earlier in the week recognized me, and came over. She said that the day before a little girl was holding him and dropped him. That he seemed to be fine, but they were not going to let him go home with anyone until they observed him for a few days. Apparently he had his head pretty hard on their concrete floor. So sad.

I didn't care...I still kind of wanted him but in the back of my mind..I knew if he wasn't OK and something happened, it would be devastating. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw this little tiny puppy in the cage next to him. Immediately I knew she was it. I looked at her tag and it said "Female Puggle." I asked the sales associated what a Puggle was. She told me that she was a Pug/Beagle hybrid breed. That they breed the two dogs on purpose for certain characteristics and looks. She was literally the cutest puppy I have ever seen in my entire life. She just laid there staring at me, while all the other dogs were barking and going crazy. The girl smiled at me, and went to go get her out. She handed her to me and I shook my head. I was like "I can't hold her, because she will come home." The girl just smiled and laid her in my arms. The puppy looked up at me and licked me right on the lips. I could smell her little puppy breath, and I was hooked. My friend and I took her in to one of the "play rooms" and played with her for a few minutes. The girl came over with the paper work and asked if I was ready to start filling it out.

I left my friend in the playroom with the puppy, and headed over to fill out the paper work. It took forever, and I didn't know it at the time...but apparently the puppy was going crazy in the play room with my friend. She was chewing on her, running around in circles, trying to dig her way out. All the red flag signs that this was one crazy puppy. My friend didn't have the heart to tell me though.

About 45 minutes later, the paper work was filled out, the puppy was freshly bathed and they were handing over to me a "new puppy mom" kit with everything I needed immediately. My puppy was in my arms and heading to my car with me.

I had a hard time deciding on a name in the store, but within minutes of her being home with me she had a name. She ran into walls, tripped over her own feet, and was a little clumsy. I named her Gracie, so that she would have some grace. Her ears were bigger than her head, and her tail looked as if it was dipped in black ink on the tip.














Gracie was just like any other puppy. Super playful, winy, and super stubborn. I didn't know anything about the breed before that day. I started doing some research online. My eyes watered when I saw the life expectancy was only 9-12 years. My German Shepard Harley that lived with my dad was 14 at the time. Some other things I read that these dogs were stubborn and hard to train. I did read that they were very loyal, and always seeking approval. They couldn't have had the personality traits more right.

The girl at the store told me that Gracie wouldn't get much bigger than she currently was, 6 lbs. Um, Gracie currently weighs 32 lbs...all lies! I wouldn't have her any other way though.

Gracie is the sweetest dog I have ever known. She is so very loyal. She is my shadow, following me around everywhere. She gets upset and sulks any time she does something to disappoints me, yet does things to spite me sometimes because she is very stubborn. I couldn't be happier with the choice I made that day. I knew the second my eyes met her little sad puppy eyes, that she was the dog for me.

Gracie has moved all over with me while I worked in property management and had to change apartments a lot. She has lived in Villa Rica, GA, Macon GA, Atlanta GA (Dunwoody, Buckhead, Smyrna, back to Buckhead and then downtown/4th Ward district) then to Trussville, AL for 2 years and now most currently our new home that we moved into in June. She has traveled and spent the night with me while visiting friends and family as well. She never complains, though every time she saw me start to pack...she would sigh and go gather her toys from around the room for me. I think she is happier than anyone that I do not work in that field anymore! She never had a problem making new doggie friends where ever we were though. She is very social.
















Gracie is the best big sister to her crazy brother Mac. The place that we board them when we are out of town always tells me that Gracie follows Mac around everywhere when they are there to protect him. She never lets him out of her site. Even if he is an asshole and steals all of her toys at home and never lets her have any one on one time with me without swatting her out of the way to steal the spot light.






Gracie, you have scared mommy on more than one occasion. Rushing you to the emergency vet when you tried to swallow an entire raw hide in one bite was not OK. You have ruined more apartment carpets that we are both willing to admit. You sometimes snore when you sleep. You drool all over me. Your fur is all over our house. You hog the covers.

You take care of Mac like he is your baby. You are excited to see me all the time, even when I am not in the best of moods. You know when to chill and just be there for me. You have licked my tears. You are great at sharing. You have the best personality. You let me dress you in ridiculous costumes and a rubber duckie rain jacket.You light up my life. You are my best friend.

Gracie, mommy loves you! Happy Birthday Princess!




2 comments:

  1. That's absurd...I wonder how many other dogs haven't gone to good homes just because they were apartments! Scary.

    Happy belated birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine - our babies are even the same age! This blogging friendship was truly meant to be!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by. I would love to hear from you, please feel free to comment! If you leave an ugly or offensive comment, it may be deleted.