Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Our Valentine's Day Traditions

So, I am going to be honest here, I am not a huge fan of Valentines Day. Perhaps my former single self loathed all the flowers and candy I was missing out on. I like to think that it is a silly holiday, something that the card stores and candy stores came up with to make people spend money after Christmas.

I feel that you should make your significant other feel loved all year long. I want flowers on June 5th just because, or a "surprise present" any time of the year. I feel like Vday puts a lot of pressure on couples to do something because it is a holiday about "love." Well, if you are truly in love, you shouldn't just let that person know on Vday or their birthday. The last thing I want to do to prove my love on Vday is go sit in an over crowded, over priced restaurant. I am not judging those that do, to each their own. It just is not very personal to me.

With all that being said. Chris and I sort of have a tradition for the way we spend our Vday. Chris and I had our first date in January of 2010, so we were still a "new" couple when Vday rolled around. I was living in Atlanta, and Chris lived here in Birmingham at the time. I told him I wasn't super in to the holiday, but I wanted to do something special for him. I cooked him homemade lasagna. It was the very first time I made such a complicated meal, and I did everything from scratch (yummy homemade sauce and all!) I also went out and got a fun bottle of wine and bought 2 super cute wine glasses that had hearts and such on them. (I will try to post a picture tomorrow if I remember.) Chris came out and we had dinner together. He brought me the cutest white bear holding a heart, a bottle of perfume, lots of chocolate, and a super cute overnight bag from Victoria's Secret that it was all in. I felt a little silly, because all I did for him was get him a card, make a picture frame with our first picture in it and make him dinner.

It was an amazing Vday, and the first one I have ever enjoyed. The whole weekend was fantastic actually! See for yourself.


Ever since then, each and every Valentines Day I bring out those wine glasses and make homemade lasagna for him. We have a nice quiet dinner at our house, and enjoy each other's company.


Little did I know in 2010 what would happen the very next weekend. 


That's right, February 19, 2010 we got engaged! Tomorrow for Valentines Day, I will post our engagement story. I hope everyone is having a fabulous day!



1 comment:

I appreciate you stopping by. I would love to hear from you, please feel free to comment! If you leave an ugly or offensive comment, it may be deleted.